A new era in offroad competition
This is a newly-developed, high-end, adaptable, READY TO RACE electric-powered mini-crosser aimed at both beginner and competitive junior riders. With zero emissions and sound pollution, the KTM SX-5 is at the leading-edge of competitive minicross and is a viable alternative to the petrol-powered 50cc engine, bringing with it an entirely new generation of competitive racing. The KTM SX-E 5 is fitted with a compact electric motor, powered by a strong power pack, delivering almost inaudible noise emissions. It also features high-quality components that make it significantly different from the many "toy-like" electric minicycles available on the market. This is a fully-fledged competition motorcycle with low noise emissions, making it more accessible to younger riders for use in areas where noise emissions are restricted.
The permanent magnet electric motor features an advanced design and excellent reliability. Producing a peak power of 5 kW, the motor is powered by 84 Li-Ion cells providing a capacity of 907Wh in a low 48 V configuration. An intelligent, state-of-the-art control unit is integrated within the package and guarantees a spontaneous, but controllable power delivery. The use of an electric motor means there is one permanent drive eliminating the need for a clutch or gearbox, resulting in a simple and uncomplicated riding experience for young riders.
• Motor - Producing a peak power of 5 kW, the permanent magnet motor features an extremely compact and slim design well suited to the smaller chassis. It is air-cooled and due to its dust and waterproof layout, the motor is wear- and maintenance-free. The integrated control unit (ECU) guarantees a direct, but very controllable power delivery.
The chassis on the KTM SX-E 5 effectively accommodates a lightweight newcomer to the class. This is achieved through its lightweight, high-tech steel frame, which has optimized flex characteristics that provide a great feeling for the rider, while also delivering excellent agility and high-speed stability. Every element is designed to work in perfect harmony and contributes to an intuitive ride like no other.
• Frame - The modern frame is made of lightweight, high-strength chromoly steel profiles and combines maximum longitudinal stiffness with optimum torsional rigidity. The subframe is made of lightweight, fiber-glass reinforced extruded plastic elements. It can be mounted in two positions for different seat heights. Together, they guarantee easy handling and precise cornering, as well as outstanding stability.
• Wheels - Like the full-size KTM Factory racers, the KTM SX-E 5 has super lightweight, black, anodized, aluminum rims providing the highest strength and safety. The OEM MAXXIS knobbly tires grip superbly on any surface.
• Front suspension - The KTM SX-E 5 has a modern, fully adjustable air fork: the WP XACT, made by WP Suspension. This upside-down front fork with 35 mm tube diameter and 205 mm of travel ensures outstanding comfort, damping characteristics and directional stability. Another main benefit for junior riders is that the air spring fitted in the left fork leg can be adjusted perfectly to the rider's weight using a simple air pump.
Ergonomics & comfort
KTM focused extensively on creating bodywork and ergonomics that allow for the highest levels of performance. The natural riding position offers the best possible control and, through various handlebar positions, can also be adjusted to suit every rider and condition. A rider's main connection to the motorcycle comes through the seat, footpegs and handlebars and these three touch points play a vital role in maintaining balance and control. The 2020 KTM SX-E 5, like the entire SX range, ticks all the boxes when it comes to controllable, race-ready ergonomics.
• Handlebar -The KTM SX-E 5 uses tapered NEKEN handlebars, made of a high-quality aluminum alloy ensuring top stability and safety. Its diameter tapers from 28 mm in the central area, to 22 mm in the bends, to 18 mm in the handhold area. This allows for a thinner lock-on ODI grip to be mounted on the left side while the right side features a newly developed throttle assembly with a vulcanized ODI grip, specifically developed for the electronic drive. The thinner diameter provides better grip for young riders while riding…The KTM SX-E 5 uses tapered NEKEN handlebars, made of a high-quality aluminum alloy ensuring top stability and safety. Its diameter tapers from 28 mm in the central area, to 22 mm in the bends, to 18 mm in the handhold area. This allows for a thinner lock-on ODI grip to be mounted on the left side while the right side features a newly developed throttle assembly with a vulcanized ODI grip, specifically developed for the electronic drive. The thinner diameter provides better grip for young riders while riding increasing control and drastically reducing fatigue. A crash pad on the handlebar brace protects the rider from rough contact.
• Seat height - The seat height on the KTM SX-E 5 can be adjusted to multiple levels. The standard model comes with a seat height of 698 mm, which can easily be reduced to 653 mm in two steps by: 1) lowering the bodywork/seat and: 2) mounting the rear shock in an alternative position, as well as lowering the front fork in the triple clamps. Additionally, by using a Suspension Lowering Kit from the accessories catalogue, the suspension units can be further lowered for a minimum seat height of just 556 mm which accommodates the smallest of riders of four years old or even younger.
Bodyworks & Graphics
The bodywork is derived from the full-size SX models and provides perfect ergonomics, well thought-out contact points and maximum freedom of movement for the rider. In addition, smart design solutions for the front and rear fenders are prime examples of an intelligent design, which guarantees maximum stability and strength.
• Decals - Modelled on the full-size motocross bikes, the KTM SX-E 5 features striking and modern graphics. Additionally, the graphics are applied using an inmold process to ensure the best durability and quality.
Software & Electronics
• Ride modes - Using the multifunctional instrument located between steering head and seat, the user can select between the six different ride modes. Each mode offers different power characteristics suited for pure beginners all the way up to experienced racers. The instrument also displays the remaining charge of the battery.Using the multifunctional instrument located between steering head and seat, the user can select between the six different ride modes. Each mode offers different power characteristics suited for pure beginners all the way up to experienced racers. The instrument also displays the remaining charge of the battery.
• Battery - The KTM SX-E 5 is fitted with 84 modern lithium ion cells in a robust die-cast aluminum casing that is mounted just above the electric motor. The stored energy is 907 Wh, which is enough for more than two hours of riding for a beginner and approximately 25 min of action for the fastest riders, depending on conditions and terrain. The integrated battery management system (BMS) ensures the safety and longevity of the battery pack.
• TSafety - The KTM SX-E 5 is fitted with a rollover sensor that cuts off the power in the event of a fall. A wrist lanyard key (connection between wrist and kill switch) stops the motor in the event of an uncontrollable riding scenario. For further safety measures, the ride modes can be locked and saved with a dongle located below the seat. This prevents younger, less experienced riders from changing to more powerful ride modes on their own.